About Our City
Garrett is located in Ellis county and became an incorporated city in 1956.
Garrett is located just north of Ennis and south of Palmer near Interstate 45.
GARRETT, TEXAS (Ellis County). Garrett is on Farm Road 879 twelve miles
east of Waxahachie in east central Ellis County. The settlement, named for
William Garrett, one of the original landowners of the area, once served as an
important shipping point for Ellis County farmers and businessmen. In the
early 1870s Garrett became the site of the junction of the Waxahachie Tap
Road and the Houston and Texas Central Railway. Mail and freight were
shipped from Garrett to points west. At one time fifteen passenger trains a day
passed through the town. In 1888 Garrett had 100 residents, fifteen
businesses, four churches, and a school. A post office branch operated there
from 1894 until 1960. By the early 1900s the community's population had
reached 162, and that figure changed little over the next few decades. By the
early 1950s, however, the railroads had ceased regular service to Garrett. On
July 23, 1956, the town incorporated. By the mid-1970s its population had
grown to 225, in 1980 it was reported as 220, and in 2000 as 448.
Garrett is growing everyday. We are working hard to provide a better and
safer city for our citizens. .
As of December 28, 2006 City of Garrett brought in Interstate 45 into the city
© 2003 Copyright. City of Garrett, Texas - All Rights Reserved.